There’s just nothing like a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with creamy, chocolate frosting and a tall glass of milk.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always have time to make a recipe from scratch. And If I do have time, will it turn out awesome every time? So, I have a little trick up my sleeve to make a Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade!
On some occasions, I turn to a doctored up cake mix to get the best cake and cupcakes around!
10 Tricks To Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Homemade
I had no idea until I saw one of our town’s biggest wedding cake bakers checking out at the store with powdered sugar, butter, eggs and several boxes of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix! I couldn’t believe it!
I could have sworn her cakes were homemade!
Apparently, the box mixes include the perfect mix of ingredients for a perfectly finished cake – every time! So, you HAVE TO TRY IT!
Yep! It tasted just like it was made from scratch! I was sold.
There is definitely a time for a homemade, from scratch cake – but there is also a time for doctoring up a boxed mix to make it taste just like homemade.
Here are my 10 Tricks to Make A Box Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade!
Try adding a few of these tips to your box cake mix to make it taste just like homemade!
- Milk. Use whole milk instead of water. It gives it a denser texture like homemade.
- Eggs. Use 3-4 eggs instead of 2 for a richer taste.
- Sugar & Flour. Add 1/4- 1 cup sugar and flour to your cake mix.
- Coffee. For chocolate cakes, use strong brewed coffee instead of water to deepen the flavor.
- Sour Cream. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream to add a more dense, rich flavor.
- Pudding. Add a small instant pudding box to the mix to add moisture and flavor.
- Vanilla & Salt. Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt the mix.
- Butter. Use melted butter in the place of vegetable oil for richer taste.
- Mix Ins – Add a handful of chocolate chips, fruit or nuts to personalize your cake.
- Frosting. Make homemade frosting! This is a MUST for cakes. It makes all the difference in the world!
That’s it! Try a few of these tricks the next time you have a cake to bake. I have a feeling you will be reaching for a box mix more often!
Need to alter a recipe for other measurements? Try this free printable that shows you How Many Cups in a Quart, Pint or Gallon and other valuable ways to translate while you cook.
The Best Easy Cake Recipes|Easy Cake Recipes that can be whipped up quickly and tastes like something you purchased from a bakery!
If you need to know How to Bake a Cake, I have you covered, too!
If you want to see some of these tricks in action, check out this video where I make this cake LIVE on Good Day Marketplace HERE!
Do you have any tricks that I didn’t mention that you use? Share them with me in the comments below!
CLICK BELOW FOR
for my FREE printable cheat sheet for
Young Living Vitality Oils also make a great flavor addition to cakes and frostings.
If you would like to sign up to buy Young Living essential oils at a discount, message me or click here.
No sales required! No monthly minimums!