The History of Thieves Essential Oil
While there are a few versions of the story they all center around one event, the Bubonic Plague. It is said that, during that time, four thieves went from house to house to rob those who had succumbed to the illness. After the thieves were captured and tried for their acts of robbery, a judge offered leniency if they would share how they were able to be around those afflicted long and often enough to rob them but not be affected by the illness. It’s interesting to note here that, during this time of the plague striking Europe, physicians were seen wearing long black robes, wide brimmed hats, and masks that appeared to have a beak. The reason for doing this is that the masks were said to have contained a combination of herbs, spices, and essential oils that the physicians would breathe in order to keep themselves safe from those afflicted with the illness. Their long black robes were also said to be doused in a similar fragrant concoction and current research continues to build upon this theory.
Through extensive use and trial with the Thieves essential oil blend from Young Living is that a powerful combination of clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary have been found to be strong enough to reduce bacterial cultures by 99.96%! This blend was created after years of research results indicated that most viruses, fungi, and bacteria cannot live in the presence of some essential oils. While I’ve seen the use of Thieves in room sprays (by combining distilled water with 15 drops of the oil) or by rubbing a few drops of the oil on the soles of the feet, there is an entire line of products which highlight the blend. Other way to attain the healing benefit of Thieves is to add the blend to a diffuser, use the lozenges, or even add one drop to a glass of water to drink.
The Thieves Story
In the early 1990s Gary Young studied essential oils and recreated a blend he had been researching. According to Gary there are 17 different version of the “Story of Thieves” and each contains a different amounts of different oils. This intrigued Gary to research essential oils and make the perfect Thieves Oil blend for everyday use.
He researched the properties of the different oils in the multiple ingredients lists he found. His research lead to a proprietary oil blend called Young Living Thieves Essential Oil. His research also lead him to the historical story of the “Thieves” this blend is named after.
Actually spice traders and merchants, the “Thieves” lived in the 15th century and traded the likes of cinnamon and cloves from India across Europe. When the bubonic plague struck, international shipping and trade stopped. The spice traders needed a way to support themselves.
A Dark Time
Dead bodies everywhere, the Thieves decided to loot the plague-ridden bodies to sell the found clothes, boots, jewelry, pots, pans – anything they could get their hands on to trade for food and money. They knew about spices and their medicinal properties and believed they wouldn’t get sick from the dead bodies if they applied their knowledge of spices, vinegars, and oils.
Because their repossession process was lucrative the King found out. He wanted to know their secret – why were they not getting sick? Four of the Thieves were caught and brought before the King. He gave them a choice: Share the secret or be burned at the stake.
A Kingly Proposition
They shared the oil blend secret and the rest is history. The King spread word around town and spread the “medicine” as well. A few recipes have stuck around, so you can make your own Thieves Oil blend, or buy a premixed blend wherever you buy your essential oils.
Store these blends in a dark bottle, in a cool place out of the sun. You should use Thieves Oil every day as it can be used for so many different reasons – not to mention it has a nice cinnamon scent. You can diffuse the oil, use it topically, clean household items with it, or ingest it to aid digestion and support your immune system.
Diffusing Thieves Oil
This purifies the air in your home, eliminates odors, acts aromatically to support your lungs and sinuses. Diffuse 15-20 drops of Thieves Oil for 15 minutes three or four time a day in an essential oil diffuser. As you breathe the oil you will strengthen your lungs, sinuses, and entire respiratory system.
Thieves Oil All-Purpose Spray
Make an easy all-purpose spray out of Thieves Oil and water in a spray bottle to clean and disinfect just about everything. Take odor out of pet beds*, clean microbial bacteria off surfaces, and keep baby’s room spic and span with Thieves Oil.
*Note: Cat’s cannot process essential oils – if you’re using this blend to clean a litter box that’s fine, but do not spray on a cat’s bed or use as an aromatic without a diffuser if you’re a cat person.
Topical Thieves Oil
1 drop of Thieves Oil to 4 drops carrier oil. (Grapeseed, Jojoba, Coconut, Avocado – any healthy oil will act as a carrier)
This lets you use Thieves Oil topically. Some folks can use Thieves Oil without a carrier, but some peoples’ skin will get irritated. You can massage this blend on your feet, lower back, neck, and behind your ears. Rubbing this oil blend on your feet daily promotes a healthy immune system.
Because of its antibacterial properties, Thieves Oil is a great all-around cleaner. Add to laundry loads, dishwasher loads, and floor and countertops to remove any stubborn, sticky buildup or even just to give a great, deep clean.
You can freshen up your kids’ stuffed animals or your dog’s bed, clean your cell phone and other devices, even keep plants bug-free and happy. Adding Thieves Oil to a cotton ball placed in the home, car, or office air vents eliminates nasty odors. Thieves Oil even helps to dispel bed bugs!
Dilute 15 drops of Thieves Oil with 15 drops of carrier oil and massage over lungs, chest, and back to improve your respiratory system. Massaged into the back, thighs, and neck helps relieve minor aches and pains that come with your daily routine. You can also use Thieves Oil to relieve insect bites.
Ingesting Thieves Oil
Add 1 drop of Thieves oil to a bottle of water and drink all day long. This will help clean your digestive tract and support a healthy immune system. Add Thieves Oil to a cup of warm water and drink as a tea. Wait 15 minutes before eating, and benefit from the system-cleansing oil.
Add 2-3 drops to 2 Tbsp of water and gargle to relieve a sore or dry throat. You can even add 1 drop of Thieve Oil to 1 oz of water and, using a spray bottle, spray onto the back of your throat.
Thieves Oil Miscellaneous
Dilute 1 drop of Thieves Oil into 4 drops of carrier oil and apply to the affected area. You can apply the oil directly, or using a gauze or bandage.
To relieve a headache, put a drop of Thieves Oil on your thumb and place against the roof of your mouth. Be sure not to lick your lips as this may burn.
A few drops of Thieves Oil in a bowl of steaming water and lean over the bowl covering your head with a towel. Inhale the vapors for sinus and lung support.
Using Thieves Oil topically promotes healthy skin, and can help fight acne and other skin issues. Thieves Oil can also be used in the bathroom as toothpaste or mouthwash. Use 1 drop per ounce for mouthwash, and 2 drops to 4 Tbsp of baking soda and shake well
What are the Documented Uses for Thieves Essential Oil?Healthy immune system*; balances solar plexus chakra, purify air and laundry freshener, and household cleaner.
What is the Aromatic Affect on the Mind? Uplifting and energizing.
What is the Spiritual Influence? Diffusing Thieves essential oil in a room will definitely purify and cleanse negative emotions and vibrations very quickly. Spray some in an emotionally charged room or in your work space. Or use it in a cleansing spiritual ritual as you would with sage, cedarwood or Purification essential oils.
This is a fantastic oil for when we feel we need extra protection when there is uncertainty or panic in the air. Use it when global events such as natural catastrophes, war or terrorist threats threaten our existence and we can feel it energetically.
My Safe Harbor Blend starts with about 0.5 ounces of Thieves Spray. Then I add a drop or two of Rose Otto Oil to help us release fear and connect with unconditional love and the divine. Two drops of peppermint essential oils to cool friction and calm feelings of terror. And one drop of Juniper for protection.
Using Thieves will stimulate the solar plexus chakra. Adding rose will also encourage the opening of the heart chakra.
How do I Use it?
Use diluted – 20:80 dilution (one part essential oil: four part of vegetable oil). Then,
- Apply several drops (2-4) on feet, throat or chest
- Apply under the arm to support lymphatic system detox
- Apply to chakras/vitaflex points
- Directly inhale
- Diffuse for 15 minutes every 3 to 4 hours, or
Good oil for the First Aid Kit? Yes, don’t leave home without it!
Can this oil be used for Animals? Yes, use extreme dilution if used topically for dogs and cats. Use for supporting wellness and a healthy immune system and promoting overall wellness.
Note about Animals: Certain oils can be very toxic to cats. Citrus products and oils in particular that are not of therapeutic grade! Please consult your vet if you are not sure about applying any essential oil to your pet.
What are the Safety Precautions? Children under 18 months of age should not use this oil. Repeated use can result in extreme contact sensitization. Can cause extreme irritation to the skin, therefore dilution is necessary.
Women who are pregnant should use caution. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician.
How To Make Thieves Spray
- 2 oz. dark glass spray bottle (like this one)
- 1 tsp. organic witch hazel (like this one)
- 10-15 drops of Young Living Thieves oil
- Almost 2 oz. of distilled water
In your clean spray bottle, add 10-15 drops of your Thieves oil. Next add 1 tsp. of witch hazel. Then pour distilled water into bottle until full. Put on your spray top and use as you see fit. That’s it!
How To Use Thieves Spray
While you can diffuse Thieves oil or apply topically with great results, I wanted to create Thieves spray for easy tasks around the house or when we travel.
I use this Young Living Thieves Spray copycat to:
- Clean toddler toys
- Spray on public restroom seats
- Wipe down cutting boards
- Wash fruits and vegetables
- Freshen gym bags
- Clean airplane armrests and serving trays
- Spray in the room to remove musty or heavy food odors
The uses of this spray are really endless. It can even get gum out of a child’s hair! And it’s super easy to make.
50 MORE uses for Thieves Essential Oil
- Apply 1-3 drops around cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing.
- Mix with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a sore throat.
- Apply to upper chest and throat with V-6 Massage Oil for chest tightness.
- Put a drop on your thumb and apply to the roof of your mouth for a headache.
- Put 4-8 drops in a capsule with olive oil and swallow daily for longevity.
- For skin blemishes, take internally and apply to the skin diluted with V-6 Massage Oil.
- Put a couple drops directly on the soles of your feet to protect you from colds and flu.
- Diffuse in your home to keep the yuk count down.
- Breathe in the vapors when you have lung congestion.
- Use to clean pet cages, creating a healthier environment for them.
- Add a few drops to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
- Add to your laundry cycle for cleaner clothes.
- Add several drops to your mop water for cleaner floors.
- Mix 8-12 drops with water in a 4 oz. spray bottle to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
- Use to dissolve the gummy adhesive on price labels.
- Apply to bee and wasp stings to neutralize the toxin and relieve the pain.
- Apply to gums to keep gums healthy.
- Apply orally to maintain healthy teeth.
- Apply a drop or two to gums and teeth for pain relief from toothaches.
- Diffuse 15-30 minutes daily in homes or business to solve smells and germs.
- Add 1 drop to orange juice and drink to reduce phlegm and congestion.
- Apply to broken bones or joints with V-6 for pain relief and to hasten healing.
- Put a drop in your cup of tea for flavor and to maintain health.
- Put on the tip of your tongue to help you stop smoking.
- Put on cold sores with V-6 to to help heal.
- For warts: apply topically, inhale and take 2-3 drops in a capsule to make them disappear.
- Rub on sore joints with V-6 Massage Oil to relieve pain.
- Drink a few drops in water or juice every three hours to stop a cold.
- Place a drop in a glass of water every day to prevent yuks.
- Rub 2 drops on the bottoms of children’s feet for protection before school every day.
- Diffuse in the house as your children come home from school every day.
- Mix 2-4 drops with Coconut Oil and rub on daily for relief of shingle pain.
- Apply a drop around a wound of a cat or dog to clear it up.
- Diffuse in the home or office to stimulate a cheerful mood.
- Diffuse in the office to increase concentration and work efficiency.
- Diffuse in your place of business to ward off the germs.
- Diffuse in the classroom to reduce student sickness and absenteeism.
- Put a few drops in your carpet steamer to disinfect carpet.
- Mix 1-2 drops with honey or Blue Agave in a teaspoon for cough relief.
- Breathe and apply for sinus headaches.
- Put a drop on a pimple to make it shrink and disappear.
- For loss of voice, put a drop under your tongue with V-6.
- Inhale for relief of allergy symptoms.
- Take a vegetable capsule full every day for relief of illness symptoms.
- Carry a bottle on every flight to protect you from germs on the plane.
- Put a few drops on a tissue, place near the heat/AC vents of a hotel to rid it of airborne germs.
- Apply one drop on an infected wound of a cat or dog to clear it up.
- Mix several drops with baking soda to clean bathtubs.
- Apply to the toes and feet to combat foot fungus.
- Apply with V-6 Massage Oil to poison ivy rashes to relieve the itch.
What can’t Thieves Oil do?
If you would like to sign up to buy oils at a discount, message me or click here.
No sales required! No monthly minimums!