In many households, a pet is a significant member of the family. Therefore, our pets’ health and well-being is a priority. Just like humans, our four-legged friends need proper hygiene, a healthy diet, and extra care when becoming ill. The health-supporting benefits of Young Living’s essential oils can considerably contribute to your pets’ quality of life.
The most effective and easiest way to keep your pet’s coat in tip-top condition is by using Animal Scents™ Shampoo. Imbued with the power of citronella, lavandin, lemon, geranium, and spikenard essential oils, our pet shampoo gently cleanses, protects, and conditions without harmful ingredients.
For those situations when your pet is contending with fleas, we have included a do-it-yourself anti-flea spray recipe that will help you keep those pesky fleas far from your animal.
DIY ANTI-FLEA SPRAY
What you need:
16-oz. glass spray bottle (we recommend a dark amber glass spray bottle)
1 drop of Cedarwood essential oil
1 drop of Thyme essential oil
½ cup of V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex
Add ingredients into a glass spray bottle. Shake to combine. Lightly spray on your pet when needed.
Tips for Massaging Your Pets with Essential Oils
To enhance your grooming regimen and deepen your relationship with your pet, why not add a relaxing massage to your routine?
Follow these steps for the massage:
- Invite your pet to lie down.
- Start by stroking the areas you already know your pet enjoys.
- As your pet relaxes, start using long strokes. This will relax him/her even more.
- Once your pet stretches out, you know he/she is ready for the massage.
- If you would like to use V-6, then put a couple of drops on your fingertips.
- Begin with the head and with circular motions, gently work your fingertips over the entire body.
- Use small, soft movements with cats and small dogs and larger movements with bigger animals.
- The time invested is very insignificant to the pay off. With a cat or small dog, it will only take a couple of minutes. With larger breeds, it may take 10 minutes to finish the massage.
Once your pet is completely relaxed, it is a great time to brush or comb from head to tail. Just a few minutes a couple of times a week will not only keep your pet well-groomed and happy, but you will also recognize if any mood or physical changes need to be addressed with your vet.
When using Young Living products on your pets, remember size and physiology make them more sensitive to the effects of essential oils. Here is why:
- Most pets have a greater sense of smell
- Cats and small dogs have a low body weight
- Cats have thinner skin that allows essential oils to be easily and quickly absorbed in their bloodstream
- Cats’ livers do not function like humans or dogs. Bottom-line: less is better for a cat.
As with infants and toddlers, we advise care when administrating essential oils on your pets.